Environmental Education Using Local Resources

Description of your first forum.

Environmental Education Using Local Resources

Postby dvandesande » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:32 am

I would like to meet with other teachers who are interested in the value of taking kids outdoors to learn. We would be meeting at Fylton Forest, an outdoor learning venue located on the Mackie Lake House grounds, across from Kidston School. While there we will tour the site, meet the person responsible for its creation, and appreciate how a venue such as this can be used in interdisciplinary studies outside of the walls of the classroom. We will look at the Ministry of Education's curriculum documents which support outdoor learning/environmental education across the grades. Afterwards, if desired, we will take a short walk to the Bishop Bird Sanctuary on the shores of Kalamalka Lake. Bring your ideas on how YOU connect children with their natural world, and a list of any resources you find valuable, including local places/resource people that you know of. We will meet at Fylton Forest, at the Mackie Lake House, 7804 Kidston Road (park at Kidston School and walk to the gate) at 1:00. Dress for the weather, as we will be outside for the afternoon!
dvandesande

Re: Environmental Education Using Local Resources

Postby prodchair » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 am

I really wish I could do this with you. Sounds like Nick Stanger stuff ; )

Put I will be dealing with the organizational stuff. The irony of the PD chair...

Have fun!

Robyn
prodchair

Postby dvandesande » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Yeah, very much inspired by Nick Stanger...took his course 2 summers ago, while my masters thesis on the topic!
dvandesande

Postby admin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:16 am

I took it this summer. It was 3 credits, 36 hours, one week! He's great.

This might make a good inquiry project for a group down the road. Hmmmm...
admin
Site Admin

Return to November 10 Inquire.Collaborate.Explore